Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Adventure Weekends!

My last few weekends have been full of adventure, just the way I like it! A few weekends ago I went camping with my friend Rebekah. I have just 3 little photos from the amazing trip because we took most pictures with Rebekah's camera, unfortunately she lost her camera on the way home. But, I did manage to catch a shot of our little tent (which said it was for 2-3 people, but in American standards more like 1-2 people) and the beach view from our camp sight. We went to a small town 2 hours from Incheon called Mongsanpo near the city of Taean. We really had no agenda and basically wondered about for two days. The first day we decided to walk to the right. We stumbled upon an octopus festival with live music and everything. That night we went to the one restaurant near us and met an older Korean couple who insisted we eat with them. They were so funny! They ended up buying our dinner, we bought them ice cream and then they bought fireworks that we shot off on the beach. Though the weather during the day was wonderful, the night was pretty freezing; something we didn't quite prepare enough for (good thing that tent was small to keep in the body heat!) The next day we decided to walk to the left. No festivals, but we did meet a nice guy who showed us his many pets: rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. We headed back early afternoon on Sunday only to end up taking the wrong bus somehow and ending up east instead of north. The bus people bought us new tickets and despite a slight 2 hour detour, we made it home safe and sound.


The following weekend was just terrible weather: cold and rainy. But, it didn't keep me down! A few friends and I attempted a picnic in Incheon Grand Park. We had a picnic, but made sure we didn't sit too long so we wouldn't get too cold. I'll go back there for sure when the weather is nicer. That night there was a big lantern parade in Seoul to celebrate Buddha's birthday. Wow! It as really cool! Here are some pictures and video from the parade. I also went and saw the play Vagina Monologues, which was really good and very entertaining. I never would have thought I'd find a play in English here, let alone that one, hehe!




This past weekend was another fun one. My co-teacher Se-Jeong invited me and my friend Mallory to go on a day trip with her and her husband. We went to a little art village called Haytie, then to a faux-European village called Provence for a picnic lunch, and finally to Ilsan where we went to this huge flower expo. I have never seen so many flowers in my life. Don't get me wrong, they were beautiful, but I was jaded by the end of it. Then that night, us four and 3 other friends went out to a bar near my house. I really love hanging out with my co-teacher, but I must say it is strange mixing my work friends with my English friends. Despite the fact that I think they had trouble understanding our rambling, I think they enjoyed it! I did!

Also, Tuesday (May 5th) is Children's Day in Korea. It's a national holiday so there is no work or school. Rebekah and I made the most of the day off and headed to another nearby city called Suwon. They are known for their walled city. We walked the entire route, taking us a few hours. It was a perfect day to take a long walk and see something new. It was basically a mini-Great Wall; preparing me for things to come!!

And this weekend.....Taiwan!!!

No comments: