Saturday, March 7, 2009

Quarter Century and so on

Since my last trip, I've stuck pretty close to home. I had to teach another English camp at work for 2 weeks and then this past week was the start of the new school year (much different system then the one I'm use to). Up until this week, the pace of life slowed down a lot. I was only working a few hours a day and then had long weekends where I would hang out with friends day and night, played soccer once (so fun!), watch movies, and sleep in late! But, life has started again, so I have to get use to business. Also, my birthday was last weekend (March 1st) which was also the last weekend before school started. I got a small group of friends together and we went on a weekend getaway to Seoraksan National Park, about 2 hours east of Seoul. My teachers had mentioned that I should go there sometime because the mountains are beautiful and there is a beach. They were right and the trip was a much needed change of scenery and really great before starting back. We did a bit of hiking in the park as well as rode a cable car to one of the peaks. We went to the beach the following day, and though too cold to tan or swim, it was nice to see the ocean and sand. We also did a bit of celebrating me turning a quarter century; and I still can't figure out how I got so old? They got me a cheesecake, yummm! and we stayed in a motel where I shared this amazing circle bed with my friend Rebekah. (We were so excited about the circle bed; hence the photos of us jumping on it). I had a really great birthday and I've enjoyed all the cards, emails, and packages too. Thanks! For some reason on my birthdays it seems to hit me hard that I'm near near home and family, but I stayed pretty occupied and didn't get too home sick. And now... I'm 25! yikes!


This last picture isn't from my birthday weekend, but just from a random subway ride in Seoul. I had a few friends from another city called Ulsan come up to visit and so I helped show them around Seoul a bit. This picture is a candid shot of me and Mallory and an old Korean man making our way across town. A pretty typical scene, hehe!

2 comments:

Cara said...

Happy Belated Birthday Emily,
Oh how upset I did not know it was your birthday. You look like you truly had a wonderful day and time with friends. A quarter of a century wow. It only gets better. Enjoy every day and hope this is a great year for you. Happy Birthday, Love ya, Cara

Desiree said...

Yay for 25!!! great pictures. that cheese cake looks good!!!