Saturday, February 14, 2009

Winter Vacation 2: Phuket, Thailand

Phuket is paradise. Greece is the only other place I can think that I've been that I was at an equal level of awe. So after Cambodia, Rebekah and I met our friend Candice down in Phuket. On our first day we went on a tour of Ko Phi Phi. If you ever saw the movie, "The Beach" and thought it was beautiful, well it was filmed here. It was actually filmed specifically at Maya Bay which is where we went to first. We also went to a place called Monkey Beach, where as you'd expect, there were monkeys. They were probably the most well fed monkeys ever because everyone tried giving them some bread or a piece of fruit or something. We then anchored off for about 45 minutes and got to go snorkeling in the reef. They had some really beautiful fish; the kind you see in aquariums that are every color. We also passed by some viking caves while on the boat (6th photo) on our way to Egg Island. On Egg Island we got some time to just hang out, swim, snorkel more, and tan. You just rent a chair and then relax!

We happened to have a couple of friends who are also teachers in Incheon who were in Phuket at the same time as us. So, we met up with them a few times during our visit. They had been there for about a week, so they showed us good places to eat and good beaches to chill on/bury each other on. The first picture is another kind of tuk-tuk, but it's kind of just like sitting in the back of a truck, not a scooter.

The next day we went on another tour, but this time a sea kayaking tour by night. It started mid-afternoon and lasted until about 9pm. We rode on a big boat and then would go to different locations where a guide would paddle us around. We went into a few lagoons only accessible during high tide and into a few different caves. One of which was a bat cave; a little scary! We ate a really nice dinner and then we made flower offerings to release at sunset. It was made out of all plants and flowers and then we put candles on it. When we put it into the water we made a wish. I'm not gonna tell you what that was. Anyways, Phuket was amazing and beautiful and I finally got a little bit of a tan. It was pretty perfect!

1 comment:

Cara said...

Emily,
These pics are so good. Love em. and just love getting your post card. I am glad you are able to be such a world traveler. I think its great. I think I would like Thailand better than Cambodia. Glad you had some good food too. Take care,
Love ya, Cara