Friday, November 14, 2008

Hiking down south & Halloween

Halloween was on a Friday, so I dressed up for school. I was a penguin. I dressed up as a penguin before when I was doing my student teaching and the kids liked it then, so I figured these kids would like it too. I was, of course, the only person dressed up at school since most people don't even know what Halloween is here. The kids really liked it though and they took pictures of me all day long with their cell phones.

I didn't do much Saturday night because me and a group of friends were heading on a hiking trip the next morning at 7am. We did have a little adventure because we stayed in a hostel in Seoul that night. If we had stayed in Incheon we wouldn't of made it for the bus at 7am in Seoul. It was fun and reminded me of my traveling days in Europe and all the hostels I stayed in there. My friend Casey and I slept in a room the size of a closet with just enough room for a bunk bed.
Saturday we headed way south, like a 4.5 hour bus ride then a ferry ride to Saryando. It was a super beautiful island and we hiked for most of the day before having a big seafood dinner. (I ate side dishes!)

I put a picture of our hotel room too. Here, there are aren't beds; we slept on the floor atop some big blankets. It was actually surprisingly comfortable! Then on Sunday we went to another nearby island called Yeonwado. The weather was great all weekend and there were some amazing ocean views at both places. It took more like 6.5 hours on the bus to get back to Seoul because of Sunday traffic plus about an hour from there to my house, so that was a little rough. But, it was super fun and I know that it is going to be way too cold soon to be outside as much soon.



The long ride home made me restless!


No comments: