Friday, October 24, 2008

Food & Frisbee

____
I've been playing ultimate frisbee on Sundays in Seoul since the first week we arrived in Incheon. Rebekah has played it for a long time and so I thought I'd give it a go as well. They started a league a few weeks ago, so every Sunday we have games. I'm not very good at it, so most of the time I just run around in circles secretly hoping no one will throw it to me so I won't embarrass myself. No, but really it is pretty fun. Last weekend was my break out. I had two games and I finally scored! Actually, I scored 3 times! So, I was pretty happy to finally have done something useful for my team. We started out playing at Yeouinaru park just along the Han River in Seoul, but just recently changed it to a park outside the World Cup stadium to have more space. I have a couple pictures there of Yeouinaru park. It is a really cool and popular park. There area always tons of people riding bikes and roller blading along the river. There are only 2 more weeks of games before the league is over. I'm thinking I will end my frisbee career then and maybe find a soccer team!


I've had a lot of people ask me what I actually eat in Korea. Even Koreans ask me. I actually had one girl tell me she had never seen one before (meaning she had never met a
vegetarian before.) Well, during the week I eat the school lunch. I use to bring my own lunch, but then I thought it would be good for me to try more Korean foods and the other teachers thought it was impressive I was willing to try, so I kept at it. Much of the food has meat in it, but I can always be rested assured there will be 2 things I can eat: rice and kimchi (kimchi is with EVERY meal. its spicy pickled cabbage. Not my favorite by any means, but I eat it every meal!). They usually have a fruit for desert too. Korean meals aren't like meals at home where we have maybe 3 dishes. They have like 10. So, there are usually some kind of veggie side dishes I can eat. If I go out for dinner or something, my favorite thing to order in Bibimbap. It is kinda a rice mix with veggies and an egg. But, the thing that is eaten most commonly is Korean BBQ. It is where there is a grill in the middle of the table and you cook your own meat. I've been to many of these. I usually eat the side dishes and then order this spicy tofu soup (pictures below). And the spicy thing... I'm getting better. There are some things I just can't handle, but I've been eating lots of spicy things and I'm tolerating it pretty well. The love their red peppers here; it's in everything! Oh, and this first picture is me enjoying a meal at a Vegetarian restaurant!!! My friend Elizabeth who plays frisbee with me is also a vegetarian, so after a game one day we made a trek to one of the handful of vegetarian restaurants in the whole country. Living so close to Seoul is nice because it is so HUGE and has more diversity then most places. I can't wait to go back there.
_____

_____


Oh, and of course they have pizza!!!

1 comment:

Cara said...

Emily,

Food looks delicious. What a gorgeous spread. Makes me want Chinese and I think I just may have to get some this week. Keep having fun with friends and food. Two great comforts in this world. Hugs, Cara