Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Stuff I do

I know it seems like I talk mostly about what I do on weekends, but it's because I am starting to get into a routine at school and feel like it isn't as exciting to write about anymore. But, school is going well. 98% of the kids still find me a novelty and are eager to say hi to me, even when using the toilet, but there are those few who think I'm invisible and talk the entire time I am trying to teach. I don't teach really difficult things. For instance, in third grade I just finished a lesson called "Do you like apples?" It was basically teaching them some food vocab and how to say things they like. Grade 6, on the other end of the spectrum, is on the lesson called, "I'm stronger than you." It's about using things like: fast, faster, fastest. I do a lot of games, songs, and role playing. The book they have is pretty terrible, so I use it very rarely. To fill in time I like to do games like hang man, Simon says, letter Twister, and stuff like that. The teachers are cool still and everything is going good with them. Actually, today my principal came to me and in his broken English, asked me if I knew how to swim. My teacher started interpreting and the next question was, "Did you bring your swimsuit to Korea?" Then the next thing was, "The principal wants you to teach an after school class called "Learning to swim in English!" uhhhh. I'm not sure how this is going to work out, but I should know in the next week or so, so I will keep you updated on that one????



Anyways, these pictures are from last weekend. On Friday, after school, my friend Eddie and I went for a short hike up Mt. Gyeyang. It's the tallest mountain in Incheon, but not really that high at all. It took about an hour and a half to get up and back. There was great views of the city, though it was a bit hazy that day. It is only like a 30 minute walk from my house to get there too, so I'm sure I'll be back.











These other photos and video are from Sunday. I went to an FC Seoul soccer game in the 2002 World Cup stadium in Seoul. I went with my friend Lisa and some other new foreigners I met that day. It wasn't really a packed game, but I think it's because the stadium is so big. It was a lot of fun and cool to watch the die-hard fans cheer on their team. The video didn't turn out so well, but just imagine it being cool. They had fire works after each goal and they had really cool chants. FC Seoul won, woo hoo.

3 comments:

Cara said...

Hi Emily,
So glad you were able to update your blog site. I was having withdrawal symptoms. Love all the pics and your descriptions. However, you need to put in how to pronounce the korean words after the words. I know this is asking a lot, but I just am curious. Although I could just e-mail you my question and that would save you time. Keep on keeping us posted, just love every little info we can get on your time there. Enjoy it. Love ya, Cara

EMILY said...

haha. I'm actually not so good at the pronunciation. But, the way I write stuff in my blog is how you would pronounce it in English. Korean is written in characters, not letters, so how I have things written is the English translation. Crazy hunh?

anushka said...

YOUR BLOG IS A NICE ONE.ENJOYED IT AND YOUR PHOTOS.THANK YOU..