Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'm Here!

So, I've made it to Korea! I actually arrived on the 22nd after a 21 hour total flight time. I watch 4 movies on the plane; I just couldn't sleep much. Anyways, I've been at orientation since I arrived, but we leave this morning for our permanent locations. I found out that I'm going to be in an Elementary school called YoungSun. We won't find out about housing until we get to Incheon (the city I'll be living in) today.
Everything has been going pretty well so far. There are some 400 people at the orientation who will be going all over South Korea. It kind of feels like I'm at summer camp at the moment. There are about 40 people who are going to my area. We've been taking lots of classes from cultural stuff, to lesson planning, to how to say some common Korean phrases, and everything in between. Most of the classes have been pretty interesting. We even went on a field trip one of the days which was cool. We went to a traditional Korean Folk Village. I think that has been my favorite day so far.
Well, I have to get my things packed because we leave in just a little bit. I get to meet the co-teacher I will be working with at my school, who will also be my mentor, my school, and my house. Not only that, but I start teaching Monday so I have to figure out what to actually teach, yikes! I may not have internet in for a while but I will try to update soon. Miss you all xoxo

Picture one is of me in my EPIK shirt enjoying the food (it's been a bit rough so far trying to find vegetarian stuff). The next is me looking confused while we were out looking around; then me and Rebekah; then a photo of my favorite meal so far; then me with Rebekah's "Crunky" bar; and Rebekah eating at the festival (they sit on the floor); the following ones are from the festival. There were dancers and tight rope walkers and we had a tour guide for a bit. The wicker thing is called a Dutch wife and they would sleep with it when it was hot out to let air circulate more.
These last photos at night are from when we went to the Seoul Tower. The night skyline was beautiful. You ride a gondola to the top. The pad locks were all locked along the fence and they call them love locks. Lots of people would write on them saying like, "Kim loves Park", etc. The lights all around were great.
These videos are from the festival:


3 comments:

Jade said...

Em! Those pictures are amazing! I hope you are having fun over there. What's your new address? A friend of mine, his cousin, did the teach English program. I will email you about it.

Kate said...

What is the lock picture for??? Even if I don;t know, I still really like it!

EMILY said...

The locks are called love locks. At the Seoul Tower they have a look out over the city and on the fence there are thousands and thousands of those locks on it. It is suppose to symbolize love.